The inaugural meeting took place at Hipodromo de La Plata on 14th September 1884 with 4000 spectators in attendance. On 19th November 1915, the first running of the Gran Premio Internacional Dardo Rocha took place, La Plata’s most important race.
In 1927, the National Congress banned the operation of racecourses across the province and Hipodromo de La Plata was forced to close. Following a successful appeal by the Jockey Club, racing was able to resume at La Plata in 1930. In 1964, Hipodromo de La Plata hosted the first ever floodlit race meeting in Argentina.
Image provided by www.hipodromolaplata.gba.gov.ar official website of Hipodromo de La Plata.